New Jersey Jewish News is always here for you.
We need your support now.
Your contribution will help us bring you vital news
and frequent updates about the impact of COVID-19.
NJJN welcomes new president of its board
search

NJJN welcomes new president of its board

Incoming NJJN president Rob Daley, left, receives the gavel from his predecessor, Phil Litwinoff, and former president Linda Levi.
Incoming NJJN president Rob Daley, left, receives the gavel from his predecessor, Phil Litwinoff, and former president Linda Levi.

Robert Daley of Millburn was installed as the president of the board of trustees of New Jersey Jewish News at its annual meeting on June 12.

Daley, who joined the NJJN board in June 2006 and is completing his fourth two-year term as trustee, succeeds Philip Litwinoff, who completed his two-year term as president.

In accepting the presidency, Daley, a global account executive at Dell Computer, said the newspaper was at a “crossroads.” Buffeted by many of the same trends affecting the wider newspaper industry — soft advertising revenues, competition from digital media, and an aging readership — NJJN is nonetheless poised for a “turnaround,” he said.

“But it’s going to take hard work on behalf of the leaders in this room to make that happen — both leaders on the board and leaders on the staff,” said Daley, in remarks at the meeting held on the Aidekman campus in Whippany, where NJJN has its offices. 

Daley noted that the newspaper will enhance its on-line presence with the introduction of a tablet version this year, and that its “Friends of NJJN” fund-raising campaign continues to seek donations to augment its revenue stream. (Published by the Jewish Federation of Greater MetroWest NJ, NJJN receives only 20 percent of its revenue in the form of subscriptions to federation donors; the remaining 80 percent of its budget is covered by advertising sales.)

In introducing Daley, Linda Levi, a former president of the board, noted that he had never missed a trustees’ meeting in his eight years on the board. 

Raised in Clifton, Daley has been on several missions with the federation’s Young Leadership Division and its Ben-Gurion Society, and has participated in various federation and JCC MetroWest programs and events, including YLD’s Borinksy Leadership Development Program. He is a regular participant in the annual Jewish Environmental Bike Ride run by Hazon.

Also at the annual meeting, Amir Cohen, a former general manager of the newspaper, presented staff writer Johanna Ginsberg with the annual David Twersky Award, which recognizes outstanding work by journalists at The Forward and New Jersey Jewish News. Twersky’s daughter, Anna, also took part in the award presentation.

Cantor Sharon Knoller of Temple Beth Shalom in Livingston presented the d’var Torah and conducted the installation of the incoming officers.

read more:
comments