Marvin Margolin, 85, of Monroe Township died Feb. 7, 2015. Born in New York City, he was raised in Newark and resided in Irvington for over 50 years.
For more than 35 years Mr. Margolin was employed by Public Service Electric and Gas, and retired as their documentation librarian.
He graduated in 1948 from Newark’s West Side High School, where he remained involved organizing reunion events and weekends for decades and also administered the William Zeltman Memorial Scholarship.
As a member of the Irvington Parking Authority, he helped oversee the construction of the town’s first parking garage.
He and his wife were instrumental in the establishment and support of Congregation AABC’s Hebrew School and bar/bat mitzva programs. He served as president and cemetery cochair of both Congregation AABC and AABI of Irvington, and was a board member of Congregation B’nai Ahavath Shalom, Union.
He spent hours volunteering for the Boy Scouts of America, Garden State Arts Center, Muscular Dystrophy Association, AARP, the Open Heart Clubs at Newark Beth Israel Hospital and St. Barnabas Medical Center, and United Jewish Appeal and Jewish Federation of Greater MetroWest.
He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Sylvia Schultz Margolin; two sons, Irwin (Robin) of Ewing and Allan (Jacqueline Shannon) of New York City; two daughters, Lauren Margolin of Passaic and Judy Goodman of Wyoming, Mich.; and seven grandchildren.
Services were held Feb. 9 with arrangements by Mount Sinai Memorial Chapels, East Brunswick.